Saturday, January 26, 2013

Angel Martin del Campo
January 25th 2013

     Today I woke up with a sensation of relief and satisfaction. Today were the last moments of our time in San Lucas Toliman. My roommates and I woke up a little earlier. Instead of getting up at 7:45 AM, we woke up at 7: 20. It was hard for us since we really need all the sleep we can get. After our typical reboot, we started packing. Clothes, gifts, and personal items went into our luggage. At 7:50, we headed towards breakfast. The typical beans with oatmeal were set on the buffet table. With a sense of joy, we all ate our last  breakfast at the mission. As we headed back, we saw that our luggage was being set on the bus. Adrenaline rushed through my body as I made the final preparations for our upcoming trip. I checked my room four times for unseen or forgotten items. The room was clear, except for a few socks and a water bottle that were forgotten. As I hunted for my seat at the bus, I noticed that the long-term volunteers were depressed as our group,the best group, was living their humble mission. Goodbyes were exchanged and probably a few tears were shed, but adrenaline rushed through our bodies as we were about to discover an old but new city to our eyes. We left the hotel and made a quick stop to pick up our travel buddies. After long and annoying discussions about who was going to sit where, the wheels rolled and we were on our way to Antigua. We passed all the landscapes and small villages we had seen before arriving to San Lucas. It brought a small portion of nostalgia to my being. I spent all the way listening to my I pod with my head smashing against the wind. When I started to get bored, Fr. Alvin caught our attention by mentioning the Volcano we are going to be hiking  tomorrow. I am really scared but I think it is going to be a fun experience. The trip was starting to get very long. I had now switched from three genres of music and we still had a really large portion of road left. I went from Electronic to Latino and from that I felt homesick and played a little Mariachi. I was falling asleep until something caught my eye. A really old church and colonial buildings started to show up. Antigua has finally been reached! In the  following moments, everybody got out their picture-taking device and put it to work. We started to explore the town as a toddler explores a brand-new toy. We arrived to the hotel and felt comfort. The house where we are staying its pretty nice. Some went to sight-see, and some, including me, stayed resting. A few hours later, my roommates and I went out to get familiarized with Antigua. We were lost in the first 10 minutes. We had to pull out our map and ubicate ourselves. Time passed and the need for food made its way on to the mind. We found a pizza place that offered a 10-slice pizza for 35 quetzales. We took the offer and headed to the park. The reason we headed to the park is that you have to pay if you are going to eat in the restaurant. So on top of paying your order, you have to pay to get a table. people these days. After filling ourselves with bread covered in tomato and cheese, the market was the destination.We did not find anything interesting there so we left. Chichicastenango was way better on the market side. We left and headed back to the hotel. At 6:45 we had a meeting on the roof. Father Kirk explained to us what the next few days are going to be like and we left for dinner. We ate at a nice restaaurant. Little but very comfortable. We had a nice dinner. I ordered the meat. It was pretty tasty. I remember having a conversation about movies and psychology. I think it was entertaining. I might even join psychology class next year. When dinner ended, the group headed back to the hotel. Exhausted, we got into our beds and slept like angels. I am looking forward to hiking the volcano and to Anitigua in General.

No comments:

Post a Comment